Sometimes it’s easy to look at what someone has achieved or accomplished and boil it down to what we believe to be its simplest form and think “that was easy.” The problem I see with this thought and ones like them are that they in no way take into account things like planning, preparation, prototyping, testing, etc. In most cases we see a final product that we feel could have been better, but don’t know anything about materials needed or deadlines that had to be met. The best example I can give is the Star Grass bust. There is so much that I would love to have tweeked to get that thing perfect (perfection paralysis), but I couldn’t. I didn’t have the time. I have a regular job and a family that need attention. Ryan and I went back and for the for months trading emails, making edits and ultimately coming up with what will be in front of people in a few months. Don’t get me wrong I am proud of the work and Ryan pushed me as far as anyone has in that area in a while, but I was the loose cannon on the project. Ryan colored and wrote the entire book and had full control over everything that was inside, but the one thing I was making, he couldn’t have full control over, which made me a liability. He had a specific deadline for needing to send the books to print and I had to be done before that deadline, no excuses. So, when people get the Star Grass bust I hope they display it proudly and get all the enjoyment they can out of it, but I hope that they see that even with its imperfections, it was made as perfectly as it could be in the amount of time needed.
In the mean time here is another photo of my practice miniature. I just added a little to the feet, calves and thighs.